EPoP 008: Benny Lewis on The Best Ways to Learn a Foreign Language (or Several) and How to Haggle Like a Champion!
In this episode, Benny Lewis from Fluent In 3 Months sits down and reveals all the best ways to learn a foreign language.
And wow, does he know what he’s talking about!
In the past 10 years, Benny has gone from only speaking English to now being conversational or better in 12 different languages, and his website has also helped tens of thousands of people do what their high school selves once thought was impossible.
In those 10 years, Benny has traveled all over the world, and he’ll share some of the best tips he picked up for saving money while traveling.
He’ll even tell you how he was able to get the “native price” for an apartment in Turkey without speaking the language and his secret haggling method that scored him a $3 waterfront villa in Goa.
Benny is THE definitive internet expert on how to learn a language in a unique, fun, and highly effective manner.
So if you’re someone who has always wanted to learn a language but never succeeded, you’ve got to give this a listen.
Note: The audio is a little choppy at points between 8 minutes and 23 minutes but still listenable and the message is well worth it!
Been listening to the EPoP Podcast and love it? Help us dominate iTunes by leaving a rating!
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- How Benny reaches a conversational level of a new language in only 3 months.
- Why “I’m not talented at languages” is a weak (and not viable) excuse.
- Why children learn languages better (and no, it’s not because their brain is better equipped).
- What is Esperanto and why you should learn it first.
- Why expressing yourself like Tarzan is a good thing.
- How to apply the 80/20 rule to language learning.
- An amazing trick to find the cheapest accommodation prices even if you don’t speak the language.
Links Discussed in This Episode:
- Fluentin3months.com- Benny’s homepage
- Speak From Day 1- Benny’s course to learning a language immediately.
- Duolingo- A free language learning tool.
- Anki- A great app for making and studying flashcards.
- Elance and Odesk- Two sites for outsourcing jobs (like finding you an apartment!)
I Need Your Help
Benny is amazing, so show him some love by clicking “tweet this” below:
“@IrishPolyglot your advice on the EPoP Podcast with @PackofPeanuts was incredible. Thanks for helping me tackle language learning!”
If you haven’t already done so, I would love if you took one minute (seriously, only one) to leave a quick rating and review of the podcast on iTunes by clicking on the link below! It is vital to helping us move up the iTunes rankings!