EPoP 003: Colin Wright on Changing Countries Every 4 Months, The Beauty of Being an Idiot, and Minimalism
In this episode of the Extra Pack of Peanuts Travel Podcast, Colin Wright of Exile Lifestyle joins me to discuss a variety of travel topics, including why he allows strangers to pick which country he will move to every 4 months, how being an idiot abroad is a positive thing, and why he currently has only 70 items to his name.
He also regales us with stories like a 72 hour bus trip through South America with a drunken bus driver, making $100 Skype calls from New Zealand, and much, much more.
Colin is one of the most interesting and fascinating people I’ve had the pleasure of meeting, and someone I’ve been personally following for a while now, so I’m super excited to have him on the show.
His passion for travel and life coupled with his unique perspective is something you don’t want to miss, so have yourself a listen!
If you’ve got a question for Colin, please feel free to post it in the comments below or ask him directly on Twitter @ColinIsMyName.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- Why Colin moves to a different country every 4 months (and why he allows readers to pick it)
- Why there is no perfect moment to start traveling.
- How international travel helps you appreciate your own country more.
- The difference between short vacations and traveling slow.
- Why being the idiot in a foreign country is a good thing.
- How to maintain relationships when on the road.
- The benefits of minimalism (and why to bring a deck of cards with you to Thailand).
- How Colin is able to make a healthy living money while traveling.
- How the average 9-5’er with two weeks of vacation can make get a more authentic travel experience.
- The horrors of a 72 hour bus ride in South America with a drunk bus driver.
- Where to find a great community for aspiring writers.
Links Discussed in this Episode:
- Exile Lifestyle- Colin’s blog
- Vote on where Colin lives next <—— DOOOO it!
- Exiles- Colin’s super cheap, bi-weekly subscription newsletter
- ColinGWright- A list of all Colin’s books and writings
- Asymmetrical Press- The place to go for aspiring writers
- @ColinIsMyName- Follow Colin on Twitter
I Need Your Help!
Thanks for checking out this episode of the Extra Pack of Peanuts Travel podcast.
I couldn’t have done it without Colin, so if you liked it, show Colin some love and thank him for taking the time to be on by clicking the link below:
If you haven’t already done so, I would love if you took one minute (seriously, only one) to leave a quick rating and review of the podcast on iTunes by clicking on the link below! It is extremely important to helping the show grow!
Thanks for all your support, and if you’ve got any comments or suggestions, let me know in the comments below!